Musa Capital is a boutique merchant-banking firm that provides opportunities for private equity investment and offers corporate finance advisory services throughout Africa.
With expertise and transaction experience in asset management, property development, structured finance and investment banking advisory services, the company is focused on private equity investment in Africa and has principally engaged in the pursuit of executing profitable transactions on the African continent, thereby creating wealth for its clients, investor partners and portfolio company principals.
Musa Capital Group is a pan-African, private equity investment manager and financial advisory firm, with over 18 years experience throughout Sub-Saharan African (“SSA”) with senior bankers who, on average, have over 16 years business experience on the continent
It has 20 years of experience in wealth creation, focusing on asset management, mid-cap private equity and financial advisory in Africa. In 2008, Musa Capital established the Musa Kubu Fund (Fund II), which includes South African-based high net worth individuals, along with a local institution representing a community of 35 000 previously disadvantaged people living in the North West Province. Fund II is nearly fully invested and beginning to have early liquidations.
The company grows its housing finance platform with a R100 million financing commitment from Absa, allowing its portfolio company Abacus to expand its offering of lower-income housing finance to the South African market.
Musa Capital has been an independent investment advisor since the creation of the firm in 1995. Not being affiliated with a large bank or financial institution allows them to tailor solutions for clients without incurring a conflict of interest. In addition, their global network of corporate, government, and institutional partnerships and relationships gives them, and their clients, access to unsurpassed resources from around the world.
Their approach is a collaborative, consultative process in which the team engages in rigorous analysis to quickly devise alternative data informed solutions appropriate for the client’s challenges. The company will:
- engage with key stakeholders including rating agencies, board and senior management, potential funding partners, and internal government stakeholders
- utilize its extensive debt and capital markets knowledge
- partner with a global independent investment banking boutique that shares Musa’s client centric values and has experience working with governments and parastatals as they engage with the global capital markets for their fund-raising requirements
Musa offers customized analysis and solutions that will assist the client in selecting financing alternatives that address the client’s immediate needs while balancing all key strategic considerations.
Products & Services
Through the Firm’s extensive networks and best in class execution capabilities,Musa Capital provides innovative solutions in areas of debt & equity capital markets, project & infrastructure finance, corporate and financial restructuring and mergers & acquisitions
- With a recent strong focus on SADC, Musa Capital has:
- a solid international and pan-African transaction execution track record in privatizations and strategic partnerships, PPP transactions, as well as pure M&A and corporate financing deals
- actual deal execution in sectors as broad as agri-processing, financial services, energy and natural resources, real estate, consumer goods and telecommunications; a lean organization capable of closing transactions in challenging regulatory, legal, economic and international environments;
- invested in privatizations, distressed assets, buyouts, venture capital, turn around and special situation opportunities; and
- successfully raised debt capital for its portfolio companies to leverage equity returns.
Musa Capital’s Offerings
The Fund’s investment focus is the middle market, and the investments are generally in mid-cap (as defined by valuations of between US$20M and US$50M). It provides the required hands-on support across the entire business including, amongst other things, managerial, board level and governance support.
The amounts of investments typically range between US$2M and US$15M. The investment is generally a combination of equity and structured debt and often is trenched over a period of time to allow management to reach milestones in their business models, triggering the release of further fund capital (including senior, mezzanine, etc.
The Fund focuses on established, growth phase companies who require expansion capital to fuel their business models. It does not typically focus on start-ups.
Musa Capital bridges the gap between medium-sized enterprises (mid-cap) on the African continent and the world of international
- Natural Resources
Musa Capital is involved in a number of projects. They have acquired investment capital, created companies, and use financial instruments
to facilitate investment in the mid-cap private equity market in Africa, across entire value chains.
Musa Capital’s first fund focused aggressively on telecoms. We not only foresaw the growth potential in the telecoms space, but also the knock-on effect that it would have on lower income communities. Read more about Musa Capital’s Private Equity investments in Telecoms sectors in Africa.
A prime example of Musa Capital’s involvement in infrastructure development is the Matlapeng Housing development project.
The African Dynamics Group was selected by Premier Foods to be their strategic contract manufacturing partner.
At DTC we understand the complexities of the various funding agencies and the unique application criteria for each. We have assisted thousands of entrepreneurs through the application process to access funding for businesses, and we can assist you with the same.
Contact us for more information on funding through Musa Capital.