DMRE fuel licensing – wholesale / retail or manufacturing

posted in: Business Development | 0

DMRE fuel licensing for wholesale, retail or manufacturing entities can be a daunting process. At Dream Team Capital we assist with you from start to end with putting together a conforming application for your DMRE fuel license, be it for a wholesale distribution hub, a retail petrol station or a manufacturing plant. We are well versed the requirements needed and boast the highest industry success rate in license procurement.

DMRE fuel licensing – retail or wholesale

Process for DMRE Fuel Licensing (Wholesale):

If you want to sell petroleum products to consumers for end use, you must apply for a wholesale license from the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy.

The license allows you to buy petroleum products in bulk (1500 litres or more, per transaction of petroleum products) from a licensed manufacturer, and to sell it to end users. The license is valid for as long as your business operates.

A wholesale fuel distribution business can also be run on a small scale as a home based business (broker model) or from an office, or as a fully fledged wholesale operation with your own storage facilities.

DTC can assist with development of a fully conforming application for your DMRE fuel license, an application comprises of (but not limited to) the following:

  1. Development of your business & financial plan;
  2. Development of your 5-year financial projections;
  3. Development of your environmental management plan;
  4. The accountants HDI letter;
  5. Development of the motivation;
  6. Completing all 4 necessary declarations;
  7. Completing of the application form;
  8. Development of your transport agreement;
  9. Development of your procurement spend plan; and
  10. Development of your employee schedule.

Contact us for the list of statutory documents that you would need to provide as well as a guideline as to costs and time-frames moving forward…

Retail License Requirements

A retail license is a bit more stringent that the wholesale license mentioned above, and prior to us being able to assist with a retail license – you will need to provide the following:

  1. The land use-zoning certificate issued by a competent authority, authorising retailing from the site
  2. The Record of Decision of the environmental authorities in accordance with the Environmental Conservation Act, 1989 (Act No. 73 of 1989), permitting retailing operations on the site
  3. In the case of-

a. An owner, the title deed to the land on which the site is located


b. Publicly owned land, the written permission of the landowner

  1. The permission by the National Roads Authority to develop the site, if the site allows or is intended to allow access by vehicles to a national road.
  2. If in the process of developing a site at the commencement of the Amendment Acts, a statement signed by the appropriate building inspector or other competent authority stating-

a. the date on which building plans for the site were approved by the appropriate authorities, and

b. that construction in accordance therewith had begun at the commencement of the Amendment Acts

For more information & assistance with DMRE fuel licensing – contact DTC!