The Bed and Breakfast industry comprises of businesses that are primarily engaged in providing short-term lodging. B&Bs are an important contributor to the local economy of any region, as they attract both local and international tourists with the aim of providing them with a taste of local food and hospitality. This creates much-needed job opportunities and revenue for local regions. Bed and Breakfasts in South Africa provides individuals with a unique, personalised travel experience with a touch of local hospitality. DTC can assist with the development of your B&B business plan!
Important facts for your B&B:
• In South Africa, a bed and breakfast by definition is a commercial accommodation establishment operated from a single private dwelling house.
• A B&B is managed by a resident owner, manager, or a resident lessee.
• A B&B must provide sleeping and breakfast facilities.
• In accordance with the South African Tourism Grading Course (TGCSA), a B&B must include a breakfast charge on the room rate.
• A B&B must be aimed primarily at the tourist or business market.
• Daily servicing of the rooms must be included in the room charge.
• Bathroom facilities must be en-suite, if not exclusive use of bathroom facilities per room is mandatory.
• Servicing of rooms 7 days a week. This includes linen and towel change, removal of rubbish, cleaning the room, and replenishing bathroom amenities.
• In most South African municipalities and towns, a B&B must have up to 3 rooms. From 4 rooms upwards to 16, it is regarded as a guest house.
Advantages of staying in a B&B include:
• AFFORDABLE PRICES: Given the same quality and standard of accommodation (room size, fittings, facilities available), a Bed & Breakfast would be less expensive than a hotel.
• BETTER LOCATION: a better location would be enjoyed when staying at a B&B compared with a hotel charging the same price.
• FLEXIBILITY: B&B’s often allow guests more flexibility (e.g. extra bedding, access to the kitchen).
• KNOWLEDGEABLE HOSTS: Hosts at a South Africa B&B may have lived in the area for years and can provide better local knowledge.
For more information & assistance with your B&B Business Plan – Contact Dream Team Capital