Musa Capital is a boutique merchant-banking firm that provides opportunities for private equity investment and offers corporate finance advisory services throughout Africa. In the company being a private equity investment manager and financial advisory firm with a unique focus on sub-Saharan African markets, it has 16 years of experience in using innovative financial engineering techniques to execute successful transactions in derivatives, structured finance, project finance, and mergers and acquisitions.
With expertise and transaction experience in asset management, property development, structured finance and investment banking advisory services, the company focuses on private equity investment in Africa and has principally engaged in the pursuit of executing profitable transactions on the African continent, thereby creating wealth for its clients, investor partners and portfolio company principals.
Musa Capital Group is a pan-African, private equity investment manager and financial advisory firm, with over 18 years experience throughout Sub-Saharan African (SSA) with senior bankers who, on average, have over 16 years business experience on the continent.
The company has years of experience in wealth creation, with a focus on asset management, mid-cap private equity and financial advisory in Africa. In 2008, Musa Capital established the Musa Kubu Fund (Fund II), which includes South African-based high net worth individuals, along with a local institution representing a community of 35 000 previously disadvantaged people living in the North West Province. Fund II is nearly fully invested and beginning to have early liquidations.
The company grows its housing finance platform with a R100 million financing commitment from Absa, allowing its portfolio company Abacus to expand its offering of lower-income housing finance to the South African market.
Musa Capital has been an independent investment advisor since the creation of the firm in 1995. Not being affiliated with a large bank or financial institution allows them to tailour solutions for clients without incurring a conflict of interest. In addition, their global network of corporate, government, and institutional partnerships and relationships gives them, and their clients, access to unsurpassed resources from around the world.
Musa Capital’s Approach
Their approach is a collaborative, consultative process in which the team engages in rigorous analysis to quickly devise alternative data informed solutions appropriate for the client’s challenges.
The company will:
• engage with key stakeholders including rating agencies, board and senior management, potential funding partners, and internal government stakeholders
• utilise its extensive debt and capital markets knowledge
• partner with a global independent investment banking boutique that shares Musa’s client centric values and has experience working with governments and parastatals as they engage with the global capital markets for their fund-raising requirements.
Musa offers customised analysis and solutions that will assist the client in selecting financing alternatives that address the client’s immediate needs while balancing all key strategic considerations.
Products & Services
Through the Firm’s extensive networks and best in class execution capabilities,Musa Capital provides innovative solutions in areas of debt and equity capital markets, project and infrastructure finance, corporate and financial restructuring and mergers and acquisitions.
With a recent strong focus on SADC, Musa Capital has:
• a solid international and pan-African transaction execution track record in privatisations and strategic partnerships, PPP transactions, as well as pure M&A and corporate financing deals;
• actual deal execution in sectors as broad as agri-processing, financial services, energy and natural resources, real estate, consumer goods and ;telecommunications; a lean organisation capable of closing transactions in challenging regulatory, legal, economic and international environments;
• invested in privatisations, distressed assets, buyouts, venture capital, turn around and special situation opportunities; and
• successfully raised debt capital for its portfolio companies to leverage equity returns.
Musa Capital’s Offerings
The Fund’s investment focus is the middle market, and the investments are generally in mid-cap (as defined by valuations of between US$20M and US$50M). It provides the required hands-on support across the entire business including, amongst other things, managerial, board level and governance support.
The amounts of investments typically range between US$2M and US$15M. The investment is generally a combination of equity and structured debt and often is trenched over a period of time to allow management to reach milestones in their business models, triggering the release of further fund capital (including senior, mezzanine, etc).
The Fund focuses on established, growth phase companies who require expansion capital to fuel their business models. It does not typically focus on start-ups.
Sectors Covered include:
• Financial Services;
• Natural Resources;
• Infrastructure; and
Contact us – for more information on funding through Musa Capital.